Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Party Games



Back a few months ago, I came up with the brilliant idea that I wanted to host a Halloween party this year for our friends. This was partly because trick or treating is not a big deal in our neighborhood and honestly, who doesn't like the option to get dressed up as adult?! So in my excitement, I started planning...spreadsheets, searching for awesome party ideas on the Internet, and many, many hours spent cost comparing props/costumes/decor etc. Eventually the searching and planning coupled with the months in advance took it's toll and I lost my excitement. I had even gone so far as to think perhaps I didn't really want to have a party after all because they ARE a bunch of work and these past few months haven't seemed to slow down as much as I thought they would.

October is a busy time for me, mainly because we are heading into the end of soccer season (end of season party), holiday preparation starts - which means a complete cleaning overhaul because the 'sick' germs rear their ugly heads this time of year AND guess who's birthday falls this month....yep, that's right, it's my birthday month!! I claim the whole month...hehe.

This month has been no different, except that we are now planning for the Halloween party some of which is starting to come together quite nicely and some of which I think I will stress about until the day it's over. Namely - what do you do at a party to have fun? I know, this is probably not something I should worry about, but I do and I am. This is the big reason why I don't host b-day parties at my house - they are always held outside where activities are planned and I don't have clean-up.

So a while back I asked the question to all of you "What do you like most/least about a party?" Most everyone was in agreed that the food was the biggest like as well as beverage choice. The hub and I discussed this while planning the invites and since we decided to provide alcohol for our guests we decided to ditch the original idea of 'meal' food and stick to finger and appetizer foods. So for the past few weeks, I've been trying them out (poor hubby, he's going to be so sick of eating this stuff) each Sunday I make a dish or two and we have been narrowing down which we like and which we don't like so much. We've decided to do a mix of beverages and JoJo has been a great help by providing me with a punch recipe that sounds absolutely delicious.

Since it is going to be a mix of kids and adults I have planned for a few kid-friendly activities and games. My question to all of you is "What do you think about games for the adults?" Do you think it's strange to go to a party and there are games for you to play and win prizes? Personally, I think this would be fun...it gets the parents involved with a mix of adult games and adult/kid games we can all play together (like make a mummy) but I'm curious if when you go to a party you just want to drink and hang out?

I'm not talking over the top, must play a game the entire time - but I like games, I think they help break the ice and give people something to do rather than get plastered while the kids run wild. Maybe this is just another sign that the hub and I are dorks (and should not be planning dorky parties) but we play games when hanging out with our friends (cards, pictionary, Wii, domino's.) Then again...maybe we are just really BIG kids ourselves!

What do you think - party games fun or a sign of dorkiness?

5 comments:

the cubicle's backporch said...

I think it really depends on your audience, but I would totally be down with playing games... maybe more so after a couple of drinks!!

What about a bonfire?

Kimmylyn said...

umm.. if it is a drinking game my friends are all over it.. I tried to do pictionary once without adult beverages and you would think I asked them to read war and peace.. lol..

I like party games.. but that is me..

Busymama Kellie said...

I agree with the first comment, it depends on who's there. If it's a group that I know well then I enjoy games, even stupid games. But if I'm not that close to the group then games would intimidate me!

zandria said...

I'm not a party-game fan, but the reason for that is because I'm just not a game fan in general. I think, if you have enough people to do it this way, it would be nice to have the OPTION of playing games if people wanted to play -- but also other people should feel comfortable not participating if they didn't want to?

DysFUNctional Mom said...

My vote is FUN!