Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Do it for Love



The other evening, after my 10 mile run, Mark stopped me to see how my training was going and if I was on track for the marathon coming up in December. As much as I would have liked to say, "Yes, I'm on track and ready for more" I had to admit to him that I was not and had fallen behind on some of my weekend long runs.

When he questioned me as to why I was not doing them I said it was because I did not have time. His response to this was "make time" or drop back from the full to the half marathon, an option I am unwilling to accept at this point.

Make time. Simple enough, but how do you carve out time in an already hectic and overly full schedule? I do not know how to do this other than to cut a few things out of the equation, none of which I am ready to give up just yet.

Last night, while watching one of my favorite TV shows (Lipstick Jungle) there was a song "Bottle it Up" by Sara Bareilles that played and caught my attention.

Love you're all I ever could need only one good thing
Worth trying to be and it's
Love
Love
I do it for love, love, love, love
Oh, only gonna get get what you give away,
So give love, love

This is why I do what I do...why I've always done what I do. Love. Isn't this why any of us do anything we do? We do for our family by taking care of them, (doing homework, making lunches, shuffling from practice to practice), we do for our friends (being there when they need us, chatting, blogging, having lunch) and they are there for us. Somewhere in this we have to do for ourselves so that we too can get what we need. In my case it is school and running. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I enjoy doing for my friends and family and tend to cut back on things I do for myself when I run short on time. Yes, there comes a point when I can no longer cut back and have to tell them no, but that point is not very often.

The point I am trying to make, is that life is busy and hectic and crazy, but love makes it all the more interesting. Love makes every moment worth it and even though my sanity runs short some days and I want to scream and shout at the gods to give me more time - I wouldn't change anything...I would still do it all for love!

What do you do for love?

3 comments:

GoteeMan said...

Honestly, most of what I do, since the majority of my life is spent giving myself to my family. With Kim being disabled, and with my boys both needing alot of my time, they are my priority. They are what matters, and they are the ones I love the very most. In a way, my work I do for love too - as a means to gain income to provide for the ones I love.

J/ (goteeman.blogspot.com)

Anonymous said...

I've fought with trying to find more time in my day and really my only option is to get up earlier. And that is SO not much thing.

I agree that love is what matters. It makes life a little more palatable sometimes.

Was Lipstick Jungle on last night?! I thought it was on tonight?!

And Lipstick Jungle is totally my new favorite show (okay, with Desperate Housewives).

Anonymous said...

Okay.. first you got me on Facebook with the Love Love Love.. and now I come to visit and you attack me here.. hahahaha

I totally agree with this post but I am still jaw wide open that you are running ten miles.. you are a rock star..

oh.. and hands of Kirby..he is MINE!