Monday, October 13, 2008

Monday Madness - Columbus Day

Today is Columbus Day and I am enjoying my 3 day weekend, but I can't help but wonder how it is that I am so fortunate to HAVE today as a government holiday - or any of the other random holidays.

1. October 12, 1492 - That was the day Columbus 'discovered' america. If he had not done this perhaps, we would all not be here, BUT - technically we weren't the first ones here, didn't we overrun the Indians who were here...hence why do we celebrate it?

2. Discovery - Despite the fact there were Indians here at our arrival...it is debated as to who actually 1st discovered america. We know other people set foot here first, but Columbus was the first to widely distribute information about it. Either way doesn't that make it a 'rediscovery?'

3. Time Off - The government recognizes today as a holiday, but most places do not, because it is not a 'big deal' - so ... if it is really a give or take kind of holiday, why do we still have it?

Hope you all have a Great Monday!!

4 comments:

auntie said...

so...is there supposed to actually BE a post today? cuz my computer is comin' up empty when i click on your Monday Madness! must be because today is actually a holiday but some of us are at WORK! ugh.

hope you're having a good day off tho!

Aleta said...

Monday Madness isn't there. Maybe... it was the Madness of Monday to gives us a black page?

Anonymous said...

We have Columbus Day off because every other month we the workers deserve a three-day holiday. Sometimes the logic is in the application, not the reason.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm enjoying visiting over here.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

My kids' schools no longer close for Columbus Day, and I'm so glad. Every year, I explain to my kids WHY I don't believe in this holiday (except this year because I had no voice!). We are of Native American decendents. I have issuese with this bogus holiday!