Tuesday, April 14, 2009

College Life


I sit here tonight and wonder aimlessly thru my drafts looking for something worthy of a post ... nothing.

As I surf (should be working on the bathroom some more) and casually watch my Monday night TV show Greek, I think to myself...are college experiences really like this? Obviously, this is tv and so it cannot be anything exactly like this, but it is based on something, right?!

The show is based on the Greek system, college parties, boy/girl drama, finding hookups love, and finding yourself before you graduate...not so far fetched. None of this seems hard for me to grasp and yet, I think back to my college experiences and think...holy hell...I totally missed something if this is anything like college.

Yes, I was that girl. I did not like the greek system...the girls seemed superficial, the guys seemed egotistical and I...was exactly nothing like that. I took my snooty little nose, dressed in my all gap wardrobe and stared down at them like some lower class being. I was at school to learn and these people my peers were just blowing their time. Didn't they realize they needed a 10yr plan and that their actions had consequences and everything they did needed to have meaning??

As I look back on my 'college dayz' I see a miserable, lonely, self absorbed little girl. I can remember one frat party where I drank a few too many, some guy treated me like another ditzy airhead chickie and I...well, I punched him, he dropped his beer and it shattered. Oh, it was not pretty, he was furious pissed upset and I...I quickly made my exit, never to return again.

I did not have uber late night study sessions with classmates, I did not hang in the 'lounge' and meet people or sit on the green and play games. The time I spent in the cafeteria was to eat and go and I preferred Denny's...even then I was alone. Short of my stalker 1st roommate during summer school (can you say NERD that I went to summer school to start early prior to my freshman fall semester) I didn't really have friends.

SO...what I'm curious about for all you wonderful peeps out there is...what were YOUR 'college dayz' like? Did you party for 6 years? Did you go for a semester and realize this was not your cup of tea? Did you pledge a sorority and find sisters for life? Did you study hard and meet your soul mate in the library?

Tell me all about what YOUR experiences were like??

13 comments:

Kim said...

My college days were the best days of my life. I grew up in a very strict household so when I went away to college I let my wings fly..and fly they did.. I never joined a sorority (did the whole pledge thing and then said it was not for me)..But I did the late night study, the dorm parties.. etc.. Mind you I did not graduate because I slacked but ask me now if that bothers me? Nope.. College was hands down the time of my life.. loved every second of it..and while it was not my soul mate I found.. i found friends for life.. :)

the cubicle's backporch said...

My college years weren't the normal either. I worked Friday nights, Saturdays 9am-11pm, and Sundays 9am-8pm. Once I started studying with my study group, I started having more fun. But I never did the sorority thing. Sometimes I wondered what it would have been like, but it really wasn't 'me'.

I used to want to be the girl who went out and partied all the time... but then I realized that that wasn't ME. And isn't that what college is all about? Figuring out who you are? (Well, maybe...)

Jaysey said...

I LOVED college. LOVED it. I was in a sorority. And I partied and had a lot of fun. But I also did a lot learning and growing, too. Graduated cum laude. Worked my way through college to pay rent/bills. Your experience is what you make of it.

tiarastantrums said...

I didn't start college until later - I was too busy working and saving money to go to college when I was 18 and 19 and 20 and 21 and 22. When I finally did go to college . . . I never lived on campus and just went to school to GO TO SCHOOL and get a degree. That was it. No fun, no muss, no friends.

Anonymous said...

Well my first time around college was the best and worst years of my life. I was dying to get away from my house, so I went all out when I got to college, I drank, I did drugs, I partied, and I let my grades just drop. Then I brought them back up, joined a sorority, and met Xander...And well, you know how well THAT ended.

So while I can say with certainty that my college years were the best years of my life, they were the worst which is why I'm BACK IN college, and I go to just get the schoolwork DONE.

But I agree- It is all what you make of it, and I don't regret those years at all.

ruthibel said...

What WERE my college days like?? I'm still in them, so that's more like what ARE my college days like?

Well, nothing like that Greek episode!! I'm trying to make the best of them, and yes, I am the book and self-absorbed semi-geek too, I prefer to say that I'm just just too focused to waste my time.

I'm not regretting it. And I WON'T because I am this close to finishing with what I came here to get... I'll let you know what it WAS like when it's over... :p

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Hmmmm. Well I was the girl who dropped out of sorority rush! I ended up becoming awesome friends, though, with my friends on the wing in my dorm. Then I started writing for the college newspaper and made more friends. Any way, I ended up graduating 4 1/2 years later with a double major in sociology and print journalism. I wasn't a huge partier, but I was always OUT with my friends Friday night. Oh and I guess the weekend really started on Thursdays. ;)

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I did college as an adult, single mom. So yeah, nothing like that! lol

La Petite Chic said...

I had a bit of a different college experience too. I was on a full ride for cross country and track and thus had practice or a meet just about every day. I did pledge a sorority my sophomore year but ended up dropping out because a) it felt superficial and b) I already had a great group of friends in my teammates, not to mention that I was already so busy. I worked part-time at the library for spending money, but still managed to find time to party with everything else going on. I LOVED college and my teammates ending up being some of my best friends for life...some of them were even bridesmaids. If I could do anything different, I would study harder. I did just enough to get by and wish I would have put more effort into it!

auntie said...

thinking back on my college days seems like a lifetime ago! i went to a small christian college so there was no greek system, but i don't think i would have gone that way even if i'd gone to a different school. i was much more shy in college, and pretty much had zero self-confidence. i made some great friends while i was there, that i thought would be for life, but things happened, and i'm really not close to anyone from college. i've reconnected with some of them now through facebook, and it's great to see what everyone has been up to, but our lives are so different now that i doubt i'll ever be close with them again. and that's fine with me! i like the person i am now so much better than the person i was then - thinking i had to live my life the way my parents and friends all thought i should and trying to fit into a mold that just wasn't me - it wasn't a whole lot of fun. and as far as the education part of college, i honestly don't feel that my degree has afforded me any big opportunities or preferred status when it's come to my jobs over the years. and i'm still paying on my student loans! gah.

Indy said...

I hate to say it but I had a REALLY good time in college. I am so glad that I did. Now, that I a mom and I don't get out much, I am glad that I had fun back then. I went to small liberal arts college and was in a sorority. Sorry. But, it was a great time and I studied hard and had a great time too.

Kori said...

I didn't go to college, but I assure you if I HAD, my days? Would have looked like yours.

Unknown said...

Went to college, joined a sorority, made life long friends both in and OUT of the sorority, partied HARD and finally learned how to study even HARDER by my junior year and reserved the partying to really just one night of the weekend unless something special was going on. It was truly the best time of my life! FREEDOM at last!