Friday, December 5, 2008

Today....

I woke up as the sun broke into dawn, it was just another day and yet it was a special day. I busied myself with all the little things I needed to get done before I left, picking up the last of this or putting away that. I was outwardly calm, but you could feel the electricity in the air all around.
I arrive early and wait. Finally I am able to get in and the mountain of paperwork begins. Sounds from the rooms next door filter in and out, people come and go, it's a busy day. I wait. I wait and talk to the hub in an effort to pass the time...fill the silence, calm my growing nerves.
My time comes and I am led down the hall into the cold, sterile room. There are strangers all around and while everyone is concerned about me, no one really cares about me. They move in fluid motion, like a well choreographed dance and the lead is you.

Seconds tick into minutes. Minutes roll together. I cannot feel anything and then I hear the most beautiful thing. I hear your voice and I know every moment has led to this one, this one moment when everything else fades away and all is right with the world.

On this day, exactly one year ago I held you in my arms for the very first time. My heart overflowing with a love for you that I did not even know was possible. A love that I had only felt for one other. A love that now was for you too.

10 comments:

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Ah, Happy Birthday!

Danyele Easterhaus said...

oh....sooooo sweet! happy memory day to you all day long! and good luck at the marathon...it's tomorrow right??

Anonymous said...

Aww! Happy Birthday to Little Miss. I forget that you have such a young one around. Very cute!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Little Miss, wow....and to think you are running a marathon just one year later!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Little Miss!!! woo hoo..

Anonymous said...

Awwwww. Happy Birthday!
That is so precious!

auntie said...

Beautiful!

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow & praying you have fast feet and lots of energy!!

Skiplovey said...

Happy Birthday Little Miss!

david mcmahon said...

You are a gifted writer. And yes, the births of my own children were extremely precious moments for me.

Like you, I am an early riser - the better to appreciate Life in all it nuances.

OHmommy said...

Awwww..... happy birthday!!!!!!!!