This year was no exception. The big difference this year was that we decided to pack up the SUV and drive south (14hrs) and visit BOTH sides of the family along the way. I've blogged a bit about it throughout the trip but here is a quick recap of events:
- Drive south
- Hub 'detours' for the longer route (because it was fun..HA)
- Visit his family
- Drive south some more
- Meet up with my family at the beach
- It rained (it NEVER rains in hell...seriously its been 4months without any rain)
- Think because it is cloudy no sunscreen is needed (hub looks like a lobster and I'm branded)
- Run from rain after we get settled at beach
- Drive north, stop and let kids run rampant in hotel pool
- Drive north some more - get home, safe and sound.
I think back to all those parents who have done 'road' trips before me and believe they must be insane. Seriously...I just spent 34 hours total there and back in the car with 3 kids (who liked to tell me "I'm bored.")
The funniest thing about the whole trip (despite my children's antics) would have to be my daughter (who is convinced she is grown). On the way home she was scolded for bothering her sister while she slept. DQ then decides she does not want to 'talk' to me, about 20 minutes later we stop for a restroom break and I'm chatting to her (of which she does not respond) but I only get side glances from her. So I proceed to not speak to her anymore. I wash my hands and walk out without waiting for her. She is kind of thrown for a loop - mom ALWAYS waits for her - 10 minutes into the drive later, she decides she is done and WANTS to talk to me, but I do not answer.
The hub looks at her and says "But I thought you weren't talking to mom?"
DQ responds with "But I want to now."
The hub then thru a succession of conversation bets her that she cannot say MOM for the next 100 miles (we have left of our trip).
OF COURSE DQ takes him up on this offer and proceeds to sing song mom-momma-mommy for the next 30 miles. I couldn't help but laugh at the ingenious of it...she hasn't stopped talking to me since we got home!
Ha...score one for the MOMMA!!!