Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rain, Rain, go away...

When it Rains ... it pours - or so the saying goes, but what if it is only a slight, steady sprinkle? Does that mean I should get my big umbrella or will my rain coat suffice just fine?

I'm not saying the bottom is about to fall out, but there are definitely some interesting things going on all around us. Economically, the US seems to be in shambles and the world is not super hot either. Politically - well, for us, it's an election year so take it for what it's worth. In my life personally...strange things have been popping up and while I don't believe in coincidence - I am refusing to believe there is something bad brewing around the corner.

I am typically a non-optimistic person, I am a type A personality, perhaps a little OCD, demanding most of the time and extremely persuasive when I want to get my way. I 'feel' with my gut in a lot of situations, however I don't always heed my own advice.

I had a friend recently find themselves in a predicament where the outcomes could prove very bad - personally, I don't believe it will come to this extreme and that in the end, while it may be a bit rough getting to that point, the end will be ok. Shortly after this news of my friend popped up in conversation, I was thinking to myself - things like this don't usually happen to me, and slightly enjoying this fact (and slightly worrying that somehow I'd escaped this flaw in karma only to realize it will catch up with me all at once at the most in opportune time) when out of no where, I got my own dish of 'not so great news.'

It is nothing major, nothing I feel overly concerned with, but it makes me stop to wonder...is this the beginning of something else? Should I be digging out my golashes, my rain coat, big umbrella and my super duper rubber ducky floaties (you know, just in case the water starts rising.)

Do you think the 'bad' loads up before dumping in your lap or do you think good and bad get fairly evenly dispersed within your life?

5 comments:

Aleta said...

I think life is about balance.

If we learn to deal with the negative things that come our way and realize that "this to will pass" then we can see ourselves to the good times.

If you really cherish the good times, then it gives you something to remember when it too "will pass."

After Greg's car accident, I had to repeat that mantra "this too will pass" - that he will recover from the pains and he is. That things will find someway of getting to normal and it's getting there. That we will continue with the wedding plans and we are.

It's all a matter of getting through each part of life, one step at a time and not giving up, backing down or looking back.

As for the Economy, what will be will be. I don't have the power to change the course of where it's going.

The best that I can do and what I've offered as advice to my friends for the past 2 to 3 years - get out of debt - NOW.

If things get bad with the economy, at least you won't have that monkey (debt) on your back. If things don't get bad, then you have even more to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I think it's a lot about timing. There have been times in my life when I've felt like bad things just kept happening. Then there are times when bad stuff happens and I'm at a point where I deal with it better. I'm a big "Everything happens for a reason" and "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger" person.

As for the economy, your guess is as good as mine. But I think this all started when gas prices went sky high. Get gas back down to $1.50 a gallon and see how fast things recover!

Unknown said...

Things do seem to come in groupings...but it is all in how you perceive it too. When you are really knocked down by something big (a death, job loss, etc.) then you probably can't handle all the little bad things that generally happen day to day anyway so they seems worse than they really would under normal circumstances.

Busymama Kellie said...

I like to think that the good and bad are pretty even, though I'm sure it's much easier to notice the bad than the good! Here in Hawaii the saying goes that bad things happen in 3's. Don't think that's really true but I've learned to just anticipate the worst so that I don't get blindsided. On the positive side, I do think that things happen for a reason so it helps me see past the bad stuff. Usually.

Jojo said...

it always seems like good and bad things happen in turns. but sometimes i am scared when a lot of good things are happening, or at least bad things aren't happening...that they're all just gathering to dump on me. sometimes i'm scared that if i'm too happy that something horrible is brewing somewhere for me.